The Past Simple
We use the past simple to talk about actions and states which we see as completed in the past.
We can use it to talk about a specific point in time.
- She came back last Friday.
- I saw her in the street.
- They didn't agree to the deal.
It can also be used to talk about a period of time.
- She lived in Tokyo for seven years.
- They were in London from Monday to Thursday of last week.
- When I was living in New York, I went to all the art exhibitions I could.
You will often find the past simple used with time expressions such as these: